The fire brigade was introduced to the Government of Western Region by the then Premier of the region- Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo. The Government of the region approved the establishment of the fire brigade (now Fire Services) and was established in the year 1959 through Fire Service Law No. 4 of 1960 and reviewed in 1980 under the Western State.
It was established to save lives, prevent the destruction of properties by fire and render humanitarian services through fire fighting and rescue operations. To educate members of the public on measures to prevent and extinguish fire outbreaks as well as inspection of High-rise Buildings, Factories, Schools, Private and Commercial buildings, Hotels, Banks, Petrol & Gas Stations etc. and to ensure strict compliance of the citizens with laid down fire safety regulations 1985, 1987 and Amended Law of 2017.
The foundation of the headquarters of fire brigade (now Fire Services) was laid by Chief Obafemi Awolowo at the premises of the State Secretariat Agodi, Ibadan in the year 1959.
In August 1963, fire brigade (now fire services) was officially opened by Chief J.O. Odeleye Fadahunsi the then Honourable Commissioner for Home Affairs under the expatriates – Chief Fire Officer Keeble and Fleming before Mr. A. Anthony a Nigerian took over the leadership from expatriates in 1972.
The Oyo State Fire Services under the Ministry of Local Government and Information (now Ministry of Public Works and Transport) took off after the creation of state on the 1st April 1976 under the leadership of Chief Fire Officer Lekan Adeleye with a compliment of 308 personnel comprising of 15 senior officers and 293 ranks and files out of which 35 of them were deployed to Ondo and Ogun States.
As the State Government is fully aware of the aftermath of any outbreak of fire such as loss of lives, properties, etc. as at today Oyo State Government has increased the number of fire services stations to 15 fifteen.